Thread: Obligato?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
I may be the only guy in the world who's had no problems with either rolling or windings coming undone on Obligatos. I have some really old ones on at the moment, and while they're no match for the Olivs on top, they sound nice and fat under the bow. Not bad at all.

Katie, maybe you might want to check out the new Pirastro Evah Pirazzis as well.
marcus, you are not the only one.

i never understand what people write here or at talkbass about the short lifespan of oblis. i have one set on my main bass for 2 1/2 years and they sound and play better then ever, arco and pizz. no problems with windings coming off or dead strings after 6 months. same on the basses of other players i know.

sometimes i think they sell different versions of them in germany and the US.

for me they are very good hybrid (pizz/arco/jazz/classical)strings

to answer katies question: i had helicore orch. strings for 4-5 years on the same bass mentioned above. i switched to them from flexocores, liked the helicores better, then switched to oblis.
imho if you play mainly classical/arco i would recommend the oblis over the helicore. to me they have a little more gut feeling then helicores, so they also work very well in historic baroque-playing-settings with modern instruments.