Thread: J B Vuillaume
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Veneer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
I saw a Vuillaume labelled bass (I think the year was 1850) at the university in Stockholm some months ago. Smallish. Distinctly slender shoulders, looked a lot like this Mirecourt bass:
The wood on the V was much more exquisite, though; tightly flamed maple in the back. I seem to remember that this was actually a thin veneer over some supposedly less extravagant wood, but don't call me on this one; I easily imagine things. I don't remember the exact colours of the varnish nor do I know how to describe them correctly, but it was darker than this Mirecourt bass, maybe - maybe! - with a slight hint of dark red or burgundy.

Sound was sweet on the top string, but it didn't carry a lot of power. Then again, size wasn't on its side, and neither are the facts that it is a rarely used institutional instrument that also wasn't exactly in top condition. I don't think it was an exceptional instrument to begin with, but a lesser restoration and fine tuning and it would become a good bass for its size.
Veneer in 1850? hey, don't laugh. The highly figured burled maple Ribs on my Storioni are veneered over Spruce. From the inside of the bass, it all looks original and that was was old in 1850!