View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Repair and value..

First off, showing us some detailed pics of both your Bass and the repair needed will help us to answer you.

On Value before and after, we must go more with prices of similar Basses sold recently in various areas just like the way houses are appraised rather than insurance or replacement appraisals. Germanic style Shop Basses have flooded the US market now for the past 100 years or so. They carry several labels or no label at all. Since there is usually no pedigree with these Basses other than maybe the US brand name or shop that may have made them, they are usually judged individually on sound, condition, repairs, modifications, model, woods, fittings, playability and what you can get for it in your area.

Most of these Basses are appraised at shops for more than they sell for being that there are a lot of them available nationwide. They usually sell for 3-8k on average in repaired workable condition from what I have seen. Some nicer ones sell higher like those of the Morelli brand or higher end labeled Anton or Wenzel Wilfers and the older Neuner Hornsteiner shop Basses.

A few years ago I acquired a shop type Bass and had it fully restored including re-graduation to Italian measurements, a C-ext added and all new fittings. This Bass matched many of the Italian Basses in the 40k range or higher and was fit for a major Orchestra. It was priced at 21k (about half its sound comparison) and sold for close to the asking price. That Bass may be a recent record of a shop type Bass in this area but the sound was far from any other I had heard. Also, it was in top repair condition.

Fixing a sound post crack properly on a Bass like yours should not affect the price all that much. If it is old and fully restored, it might sell higher in cleaner condition but without the repair, your New Standard is worth more!