View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Juzek-style squiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCowan View Post
Thanks, Ken.

I don't currently own a camera, but I'll see if I can borrow one to get some pics up. It's a fairly typical no-label German flatback bass, with the Juzek-style squiggle on the back. Certainly wouldn't win any beauty contests, but he sound is very nice for jazz.

It's good to hear that I may not be taking a big resale value hit after I get the bass repaired. The repair bill alone is going to be bad enough.
That 'Juzek-style squiggle' appeared on Basses before Juzek went into business. Juzek Basses were imported from shops around the German/Czech border and then labeled here in USA. Some Basses with that 'squiggle' say Roth, Lewis or even Wilfer (an actual maker of these Basses). I don't know if they 'purchased' any Flatbacks for the Juzek line but anything is possible when orders need to be filled.

I have a nearly 200 year old English Bass without a single crack running thru the top and it is listed at 90k. I have another English Bass from the same period being restored with a several Top cracks but that will list for about 140k. Why you ask? Because the one with the cracks sounds better and the Pedigree is more famous as far as Bass makers go from back then. The first one mentioned has a beautiful orchestral tone with power to spare. The other Bass is sweeter in the upper register and would be better for solos therefore a more versatile instrument if one could afford either Bass. Then again, sound is a matter of taste. Maybe the prices could be switched or both be listed for the same price and see what moves first and for how much. Then and only then will the real worth be realized. "Shooow me the Moneyyy"...

Condition can be overlooked if the sound is there. Pedigree plays a big factor in the price as well. Here is a Bass I have that is more expensive than both of those and will get even more work done to it as the condition pre-restored is much worse yet the sound is to die for not to mention everything else about the Bass.

Of the 3 Basses mentioned, only one do we know the exact pedigree 100% and he was a famous Violin and Cello maker in his time. The second Bass we have it close but not exact on the pedigree and the 3rd Bass, who cares.. It's a killer..