View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Felscher View Post
True, that might be the initial idea, but I was just wondering how it affects tone (if at all), if it doesn't it would be worth asking why anyone builds a bass with above-average string length anyway. And yes, nut to bridge of course.

Johannes
I don't know why anyone would make a bass over 42" s.l. today with what we have learned thus far to date. I think some lower end imports are made long on occasion out of mistake or ignorance copying an old bass that if used by a normal human would have since been cut down by now. That being provided the bass itself was worth the expense and the owner could afford it as well.

My old bass in question (the cornerless at 44.5") was left as-is for many reasons I assume. With the sloped shoulders it was not all that hard to get around. Also, 2.5" overall is only 1.25" longer for the first octave where most of the music was played.

If this was the only bass I had and could not afford to have it fixed or shortened, I would have done what the previous owner did, leave it as is and just deal with it. In the case of this bass though the sound was so superior to most any other bass at any price, the romance of the tone outweighed the stretch of the fingers. Mind over matter I guess.. lol (or love over pain?)

After playing my first concert with it a few days after buying it and doing the solo in the Pulcinella suite as well that night, I knew when the concert was over that it had to be shortened. My fingers were screaming louder than my brain heard the applause if you can imagine that. It was just too freaking long..

Playing the double bass is hard enough as it is with today's demands. Why injure or kill yourself in the process?