Thread: Smith Basses
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink Yikes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
Hey Ken, I noticed that looking at other basses, they are coated with a shiny hard coat. They say it is to protect the wood from dents and scratches. I think the word is shilak (if thats how you spell it [if that is even the word for it]). Is there a reason why your basses dont have that coating? Ive had my bass for only a few months and already i have scratches, from my jewelry, the strap (I once put the bass in the case with the strap on (like I do with my other basses) but I never did that again. One time my pinky nail went over the bass and scratched it. I have an idea for a new case for you. I for one prefer gig bags over hardshell cases for transport, but I notice that you use Levi gig bags (i am the one that ordered the black tiger with the gig bag). But anywho, there is another Levi case that is much thicker and the inside has like a fur like substance to keep the bass safe. I was wondering if I buy that case and send it to you, can you put the Smith patch on it?
One or maybe two questions per post would be easier on me..lol

'Shellac' is not what you are referring to. We use Shellac in the oil/varnish process for sealing. We make Basses with two types of finishes BUT Jewelry and sharp objects will scratch anything. Salty or acidic sweat will wear thru car paint so we do our best to give the finish within the budget of the model. Our Elite models are better protected but not from Jewelry or abrasive sweat.

On the Cases, we do not use Levi Bags. That is a Bag I designed over 25 years ago. Currently, Levi is the company making them for us. I can't put my 'patch' on their bag. Their 'patch' should work just fine..lol

Last edited by Ken Smith; 01-25-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Typo