View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool confused..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Hason View Post
I am sure I will, but the one that was in stock is sold
Ken offered me the GN in stock. To be honest I am getting a bit confused with the models.

Anyway, I hope to get the funds in my account in 1-2 days and I will place my order... cant wait
The best way to get un-confused is to open each model page and copy the specs of each model in order and compare the written words. In the case of the TN or GN if the GN is in walnut with tiger core, the difference is slight if at all.

The exact same parts, hardware, woods and electronics are on both basses. The price is only $150 more for the TN.

Why? Because the Walnut top is picked to have a 3a figure. The Tops that look like thay might not make 3a are dropped down to the GN models.

The 2a tops are used on the MS and MW models. After finishing, many (I mean MANY) of the GNs look as good as the TNs but only after the finish.

To ensure a 3a Black Tiger quality fiqure for the Top, I must be 100% certian the wood is 3a figure in the raw before finishing or even making the bass. For that you pay $150. more.

The older GNs did not have series/parallel switches either but for the last few years, they do so no difference there.

The only other difference that is definetely noticable between the two models GN and TN are the headstock cappings. To make sure we know the exact model, the TNs have an Ebony laminate on the head matching the fingerboard while the GN has a matching Walnut head. This is the actual ONLY way we can tell here what model we made until I put the serial number in the bass lettering it with TN or GN.

So, below the head, they look almost the same and in many cases, there is no difference.