View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Srikanth Narayanan is on a distinguished road
Default Xue Chang Sun basses?

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm not sure if this belongs here or in This New Bass: Chinese/Asian. Please place it where you think best.

I'm curious if anyone here knows much about Xue Chang Sun the man, and about the quality of the instruments that his shop makes. From what I've read on the Internet, his shop makes violins, violas, cellos and basses and he's won awards. Has anyone met the man? Metaphorically, how does he tie his shoes? Are his work shops small or large, does he supervise the basses made or is he a 'hands off' kind of guy?

I've played on a few 7/8th size carved round backs that I think came from his shop, with one labelled as a "Sinfonica". What can I say, other than it sounded good and played well. I'm not yet an experienced judge of double bass quality. I'm also not sure about other bass types coming out from his shop, and how they stack up in terms of design & build quality, sound and pricing.

I currently play a Strunal 50/4 ply. I like it, it sounds good pizz, and amplifies well. Practicing with the bow is so-so, but I don't perform with a bow. It's serving me well, but sometimes I wonder about upgrading.

I'm checking out these Xue Chang Sun basses and some others. I've never played a Shen bass, but are these two shops similar in product output, quality, sound, price?

BTW is his name Xue Chang Sun, or Xuechang Sun?

regards,