View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool questions..

On the Flame figure vs. sound or quality, there is no science that I am aware of on the looks of wood. Flamed maple from the same tree is harder than non flamed wood as the density is generally higher in figured woods. Maybe that is considered a plus in making a Violin.

Prettier instruments usually sell for more than those not as pretty but not necessarily with the classics. Many old Italian Basses were made with Poplar, Willow, Walnut, Pearwood and local Oppio, a type or Maple native to northern Italy. Makers like Strad used imported wood for his Violins. Some other makes used local woods. Basses and Cellos would get less of the pretty woods due to cost, especially the basses.

We know now 200-300 years later or even less that looks are looks. In the wood business, the higher the figure, the more the cost regardless of the sound.

Ok, on your other questions this is more than just a short answer. maybe a class or a semester if not more.

As far as makers using their own name, I agree with this IF they are the ones selling them. In history going back 100s of years, if someone orders something for re-sale to be made, that shop put's their label in it. I would have to say that there are more instruments in the world with names other than the makers than those correctly labeled by the maker or even shop. For the most part, the majority of instruments made are NOT made by one individual maker either.

On my Amati model basses, I make no secret of the fact they were sold to me from a shop in China. I don't even know the exact maker. I was told who the master is but I never witnessed him making the basses.