View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default 8 or 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post

Question: What's a good, functional application for my Eden Traveler Plus? Do I also need to consider investing in a good 4 ohm cab as well (and possibly get rid of my beloved SWR Goliath III to make room?)
The SWR Goliath III is a nice cab with a 105db SPL rating. Why would you want to get rid of that cab? Is it an 8 ohm cabinet? I'd keep it.

Stick with 8 ohm cabinets always. Again, this is where you will recognize significant coverage differences because you can always add more 8 ohm cabinets than you can 4 ohm cabinets. Simply put: 2 - 8 ohm cabinets running parallel is a 4 ohm load and will pull whatever the 4 ohm indicated output level of the amp is, BUT, because you have more speakers, you'll recognize significant volume coverage. BTW the difference you hear between 1 4-ohm cabinet and 1 8-ohm cabinet individually running from the same amp is nominal. AB it and see for yourself. Another case for sticking with 8 ohm cabinets.

The best way for you to hear this put to the test is do this:

Scenario 1: Hook up a quality 4-ohm cabinet (ex. 1
210XST(4)) to the amp (assuming the amp can handle a 4-ohm load). Then play and listen.

Scenario 2: Hook up 2 quality 8-ohm cabinets (ex. 2 210XST(8)'s) to the same amp. Then play and listen. You WILL hear the difference from Scenario 1 above and realize a significant increase in coverage.

NOTE: Under Scenario 2 and if the amp can handle a 2 ohm load, you can still add 2 more 8 ohm cabinets for even more coverage!!! If you haven't heard this, you must try it one time in your life. : )

Granted, you may not need the additional coverage, but WHY limit yourself???

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-17-2009 at 07:16 PM.