Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Beautiful bass you have there.

Did you do the restoration work Ken?
No, it was Robert McIntosh. I will have more pictures when we put a page up. I will do my personal set-up tweaks as usual but only as necessary. I know Robbie's work is good as I have seen it on the J.B. Allen bass Arnold used to have for sale and also on one of Robbie's own basses as well. This is the first full restoration he has done for me and at the recommendation of Arnold as he was busy with my other cornerless bass around the same time.

Ken, I said in the first post;
"Next week I will pick up the Bass and bring it home, finally. Here are some shop pics I got thru email earlier."

I thought I made it clear that it was being done at someone else's shop, as usual. If I had the time and if I hadn't given up all my tools back in 1991 I might have been doing some of my own work from time to time. Projects like these that require Top re-shaping and major breast patches should be left to the surgically inclined Luthiers rather than the general practitioners of the bass world. I have seen only pictures of work in progress on this bass but both the Hart and Storioni went thru similar surgeries as well. This bass had less done on the Back than the other two but the Top needed some serious t.l.c.. I look forward to playing it in a few days.

Also, speaking of repairing sunken Tops, Robbie knows about stress and support from another unrelated/related subject. Have a look; http://coveredbridgebook.blogspot.com/