Thread: Scallopini...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb attribution moved to Bologna..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The Label is old but that was a Lute maker. I don't know if the label is real or not but doubtful. Maybe the Label was faked when the bass was made about 200 years ago but not 420 years ago. That maker however DID produce Viola d'Gambas in Guitar Form as introduced a century earlier by Spain known as the Leg Viol. Perhaps he made this bass in the style of Brensio, his Italian name. He worked in Bologna.

On this Bass, one dealer said years ago that it looked similar to two other basses he had seen by the name of Lod Parisini. When I recently inquired about his assumption he told me about the two basses and who owned them. One of them is not far from me and when Arnold last visited me with the Storioni copy last December, he brought the Bass and owners husband with THAT very same bass to compare. The Bass has stamped on the tuner plates, Lod Parisini, Bologna 1813. It has the same body, shape, angled sloped shouldered roundback but more refined as far as the Violin shape.

About the writing on the label; http://dolcecano.blogspot.com/
I recently sent pictures of this bass to a very experienced and knowledgeable Bass maker/Dealer in Italy and he thinks it's from Bologna. So like the Parisini I examined from Bologna(1813) and the old label in the bass as well from Bologna (dated 1590) I think it is at least as possible that the Bass is from *Bologna so I will go with that for now. I still believe the bass is from 1790-1800 at the latest.