View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Richard,

I have a good customer who plays a nice shiny Christopher. I don't know the number or model but he gets a great amount of tone from that bass. He uses Helicore strings and has the height of his strings a bit high by my standards. The neck is a bit thick and it is heavy bass overall. The finish is very nice with not a flaw anywhere. The fingerboard is high quality ebony and is dressed well.
They are a nice instrument similar to some Shen models and X Sun.
Thanks Ken,
It was getting a bit lonely on this thread. Luthiers in NZ seem to like setting up basses too high - none of the local ones play a bass, could be the reason. After mine came back from three luthiers, I read Ken's (Smith) advice and wound my adjustible bridge right down. It's not a perfect set up now, but it's pretty good. Mine is a 503 violin shape - 2nd to top model. They do have a thick neck, but I'm really enjoying playing mine. It has a good tone and seems to love the Bel Canto strings. Mine doesn't seem too shiny, but I seem to be scratching it quite a bit - my bass gets a lot of playing and moving around.