View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Junior Posting Member

Kraig Gregory is on a distinguished road
Default Still love Smith Basses regardless of weight

First off let me say that I in no way started this thread to damage or insult anyone or brand. I love Ken Smith Basses and have owned four of them and loved them all. I expecially love the BMT basses made during the mid 1990's. While I would say that I am more of a collector than a player, I have owned over 50 high end and vintage basses and two of my BMT's are in my top 5. As far as neck through basses, nothing compares to a 7 piece body and 7 piece neck Ken Smith. I am currently droolling over Tim's Cocobolo 6 right now, wishing I had the funds.

Yes, I know a cocobolo 6 is at the top of the weight scale, but I can just imagine how the bass sounds. I rarely get out and play anymore and there is something about purchasing a smith that tells you that you made a wise investment. The fact that Ken's basses hold their value is not by chance. They are extremely well built and have incredible tone and the highest level of craftmanship.

Of the BMT's I have owned, two were quilt maple, one tiger maple, and one cocobolo. I regret that am currently BMT less, because they were all extraordinary basses. The weights of them ranged from 10-12 lbs (5-6 strings only).

So as you can tell, I am a fan of Ken Smith Basses and would purchase one today without blinking an eye. I appreciate everyones input and time.