View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool German?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Delventhal View Post
Any chance this is a German stick? Have you seen many French bows that stay rounded like this all the way to the screw(except where the frog is attached). Looks like the Bazin on your web site does. Have you owned others? Thanks!
This is hard to say. The Bow IS a shop bow. Many German makers trained in France. The Bazin family was quite famous and many copies were probably made in its time. I don't think round spells French 100%. They can make it anyway they like. This was a thick stick so round was probably what was best for this stick IF the shape itself remains unaltered since its birth.

This Bow here I thought was German when I bought it. After Sue Lipkins got it for re-hair she corrected me and said it was a Mirecourt French shop bow by the workmanship. German she said would have been neater inside than this.

The shape and weight of a Bow does not designate where it was made. They all had access to the same imported wood. It's the maker that makes the bow, not the tree. The better makers usually selected the better sticks for their better bows but usually, not always.

I have bought a few non famous makers bows and some that were unknown makers because of the stick and its playability alone. Pedigree can help price a bow but attribution papers can as well. Not all great Bows are Pernambuco wood either. The wider more open porous grained Brazilwood (same tree?) can be as good a bow as any. Pernambuco in itself is not magic. It's just the modern standard.

Next time you come by, I will give you a few bows to play to compare Pernambuco with non-Pernambuco. Then you will see for yourself.