View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Ebony Lams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
It's very hard to describe tone in a text format. Woody to me means more of resonant, clear tone. I would describe warmth as a nice rounded sound spanning from deep lows to high-mids (not overly favoring a particular range too much). So subjective

Hmm, now I'm wondering about a flame maple core, ebony laminates and figured walnut top and back with maple neck and morado stringers. (same neck on my current Smith, no complaints with it so why mess with perfection I guess)

Ever used ebony laminates? Does it make the bass too heavy? What other woods would you recommend both tonally, and visually (contrast) as laminates in that configuration? I'm interested in a strong low end, so maybe bubiga? Not sure how that would contrast with walnut and maple though.

I know I'm working you over on this but at some point in the next few years I'm going to be looking for a new 5 string fretless, and kinda want to get the details hashed out now so I know what to look forward to.
I have done Bubinga in place of Mahogany Lams but Ebony being an oily wood would not be my first choice for that. Also, we make all of our own veneers so double re-sawing a 1" piece of Ebony will not be cheap along with the wood itself. We make good sounding Bass so why not just choose from what we have done already with proven results. Design mistakes can be VERY expensive.