View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

Shannon Eubanks is on a distinguished road
Question Violin bow...a Pecatte????

Hello everyone! This is my first post and I'm very excited to have found this site, there's just so much crap online these days. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. I know a fair amount about violins and copies but I don't know a lot about bows. I recently picked up a beautiful bow that belonged to an officer of WWII. He was a member of the "Fighting Skulls" and flew 95 missions, and made it back from all of those missions! Somewhere along the way he picked up several violins and bows. One was by Aug. Franz Artisto and another (the one I bought) is labeled "Pecatte." I've attempted to research this online...there's so much and most of it not pertaining to what I'm looking for. Does anyone know a good place to find pictures and info about bows made by this family? I'm not sure if it's real or a copy. Either way, it's a fine specimen. It is labeled "Pecatte" on one side and "Germany" on the other. It's a medium chestnut color with dark, vertical stripes running the entire length of the bow. It's almost zebra like, very beautiful! The frog appears to be ivory (as well and the end piece) with a curl on one corner. I've been unable to find anything that looks even remotely similar. I have some snap shots if anyone would like to see it. I'm getting ready to restring it...can't wait to try it out! Thanks for the help - Shannon