View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool update..

A few weeks ago I received an email from a man claiming to be an Heir to John Hart. His great grandfather was George Hart II, John's grandson. After a few exchanges while searching his 'roots' he tells me he now has the 'Will' of John Hart!

Later that day he faxes me a copy of the 'Will' and I almost popped out of my body.

Here's what I learned that until now, NO ONE had a clue to this.

First off, I suspected a continued relationship between J.Hart and William Gilkes but until now, not a peep in all the English Books of the world nor a mention from any English dealer. In the 'Will' he makes reference to William Gilkes a couple of times so that's proof to me that when Samuel Gilkes died his son William was to some degree at least befriended by the slightly older John Thomas Hart whom his father had trained for seven years, partly along side of young William who was only 16 in 1827 when Samuel died.

The next discovery from the 'Will' was his reference to William Valentine which from an interview with George Hart II in the early 20th century by one of the Hill Brothers referred to Valentine as an Uncle. From this it was interpreted that Valentine had married his Aunt from one of John's sons which I now see there were at least two. John Hart II who died young and left two children of his own at the time this Will's was written.

Here's the big one.. In the 'Will' Hart referred to Valentine (who made Basses for the firm for decades) as his 'Half Brother'!.. Wow.. same mother then I imagine and two different fathers. Now we know that Valentine didn't just work for the Harts, he was family and blood.

So, about a year and a half after the restoration of this Bass is complete with some speculation that Valentine may have been the maker, we find out that he and John were step brothers or more closely, 'half brothers' which includes a little Blood, not necessarily 'shed'.. lol

By the way, The Hart Bass is doing just fine and I will be using it this week most likely in place of my bigger English Gamba Bass. This is mainly due to the Neck heel difference between the two Basses plus Program I am playing which requires a few fast jumps into thumb position.

I don't play this Bass hardly enough at all which I am sure has leghtened its post-restoration development. I plan on changing that and getting out more with this Bass as well as practicing on it more.