View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leue View Post
Hi, Sorry I haven't had a chance to generally introduce myself, but I am a luthier ( one of the Brotherhood of loosely associated bass luthiers of America)
who recently acquired an interesting American bass, which is missing its original top. There is an inscription on the back "Calvin Baker 1885"
The outline of the bass is similar to a Baker, but it lacks the distinctive work at the button, and the machine heads are obviously German commercial of the period, and the pegbox was built to follow the plates of those machines.
Baker's shop looks to have been a busy place in this time period judging by the large # of violins that have auction results, so I assume they may have employed a number of craftsman.
Anyway, I am seeking more info on, and photos of known Baker basses.
I acquired this bass in part because I am "warming up" for my first bass build after years of restoration work on basses and having made a number of violins under Karl Roy, etc. and was looking to make a top as a way of gearing up.
I am particularly hoping someone can get me photos of, or a tracing of Baker's F hole pattern if this turns out to be a Baker.
Mark, although it doesn't look exactly like the other C.Bakers I have seen (2-3 pictured and one of those in person and didn't know then it was Baker), it only looks slightly Germanic. The Arching of the back looks like his other basses and the upper back design is not typical German. The Asa White bass I played was similar as well to this but was a small bass, 1/2 sized I think but today called 5/8 for marketing. The handwritten name is a puzzle as I thought he branded and or labeled his work. So, I don't know if this is his bass but could be possible. Also, if the label was destroyed in a repair someone could have also written it to mark what the bass was.

It is also possible that the Scroll/Neck is German and used by him to save time or has been replaced since it was made. In that case, you have just the Back and Ribs that he may have made if the Top as you say is replaced as well.