View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 02:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
I'm a bit confused as to the scalloped blocks. Are they what appear to be (for my novice eyes) rounded violin corners? That's how I'm perceiving them. Could they have been added later, or where they build with the bass?

Either ways, very nice looking basses. How do I go about getting in your will, Ken?

Edit: After looking closer at the pictures of your Scallopini, I see it a bit more clearly now. That is some impressive woodwork. Are the purely for beauty, or do the have a function? Perhaps they make the bass easier to lie down?

The first time I saw pictures of this bass I had my own doubts as the blocks looked detached from the actual bass in design. When I finally saw the bass in person it all came together in seconds. The Blocks are original to the bass. Without them, the corners would break off having no support under them. When Robbie (the Restorer) first saw the bass, he thought they were ingenious (or some comment like that Arnold mentioned to me).

Upon closer examination, the 'fluting' of the Scallops in the Blocks looked just like the Neck Button carving. The same hand, without a doubt in my mind. Internally, this bass looks a bit like a large elongated guitar. Externally, it looks like a violin model bass. The Scalloped blocks and the hooked 'tooth'-like corners leads me to believe it was a maker near a sea coast. That is why I suspect Genoa. My Candi bass has a carved out Crab in the Gear handles. I have been told these are from hotel keys and I have seen the same handles on other Italian gears as well. So Sea-like ornamentations on one Genovese bass leads me to believe it was a sign of the culture. Having the Scalloped Blocks, hooked like Corners (Shark tooth?), a Guitar/Violin maker in the period of this Bass named Lodivico and an actual similar shaped bass model almost as old (but more refined in its Violin style) seen with the inscription Lod Parisini 1813 (Bologna) all seems connected within this bass.

I might be totally wrong on the maker's name here but the other bass with the same shape, size and angled sloped shouldered round back looks like a match to me. I have never seen a bass like this before, all things considered. Look at the Scroll pics. This maker made this Bass. Similar carving to the Blocks but the Violin skills shine the brightest in the Head and also the beautiful Fs.

My bass cover is in the car. In a few hours I will hit the road to get this beauty. More to come on this...