Thread: Upton Basses
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool just my two cents?

Only your 2 cents? Gee, I would duck if it were a dollar's worth..lol

Yes, I do have a passion for these great Basses and I understand the lack of contribution and the reasons why.

With that said, I brought in some Hybrid and Plywood Romanian Basses for the local market here, sold out of them and am just now re-stocking.

When I was starting out the Plywood Juzek at Juzek/Metropolitan in NY was $150. A used older German carved or flat Back 50-100 years old was about $100-$200 depending. The Juzek carved Basses stated at $200. In my early days we had some Basses as well but not the selection we have today.

As far as any of the feuds you referred to above yes, it's just no healthy to go into it in detail. Some of it is business and some of it is personal so we can just move on and let it rest.

There are more Bass players today I think than ever before. Lower cost Basses allow more semi-interested players to get involved in the 'sport' than they could before if the Basses were the same and inflated to todays economy.

Fair competition is always healthy for business all around. I say Fair with a capitol 'F'. The Guitar business has a much bigger problem with this than the DB field any day of the week.

Thank's for posting. Good conversation is always healthy, or visa versa..