Thread: D'oh moment
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker
Default D'oh moment

I acquired a czech ply bass as a project bass for my daughter and a practice job for me. It wasn't strung up when I got it, as the bottom block was stuffed. So I replaced the bottom block, cleaned up a few dings from inside, stripped the varnish (it was pretty awful) and after tossing up for ages, removed and reset the neck (remember that epoxy gluey mess?). I did a bloody good job, too, I think, with new mortise cheeks beautifully fit and the overstand now a scant 30mm. Graphite rod in the neck, button neatly replaced, and the ugly repair mess that was there before is now a thing of beauty. So, as the bass lies in its cradle for revarnishing, I happened to measure the scale length - would you believe, for the first time.

... 44"

D'oh!

I had the opportunity to correct this a bit when I had the neck off. I should have measured before; I could have shortened the neck. I could have shortened the scale by at least an inch by setting heel further into the block. All I can do now is a false nut, which won't achieve much.

WHY didn't I measure this before??