View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Junior Posting Member

Amin Zarrinchang is on a distinguished road
Default New Bows or old Bows..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Around 1973 I acquired a beautiful Sartory Bass bow (French). I used that Bow until I retired from playing in 1988 and sold it a few years later. It has been hard finding a replacement since I started back playing a few years ago.

Last year I was lucky enough to acquire both a Sue Lipkins Bow and a magnificent Bultitude Bow as well. Long story short, someone bought the Bultitude from me and I was left with just the Lipkins. Then, I find another Bultitude Bow as good or better then the last. Shortly after, the Lipkins gets sold to a friend that loved it as I was in Bultitude heaven and then, I get the Lipkins I have been waiting for since 2 years ago. Now, I have one of each again. I think I have my Sartory replaced with these two Bows so I can take a deep breath.

Have a look at the current Bows I have including some other Bows I have picked up over the last few years; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/bows/
Hello everybody.

First of all, nice to meet you, I am new in the Forum..

I have a question for everybody, especially for Ken who has an incredible experience in fine new and old bows.

Do you prefer new bows or old bows?

Do you think old bows lose their skills during their life..?

Would you prefer the sweetness and the balance of an old bow or the grip and fastness of a new fine bow?

I know there wonderful old bows that are fast in response and have still so much power and great articulation, and new fine bows that have sweetness and colours in the tone, but which are your general opinions?

Then, a question for Ken who had the chance to perform on such a great French bow like an E.Sartory:
Which are your general opinions on that bow?
Do you think that sweetness in sound is not his first quality..? I mean that it helps a lot for agility and articulation and clearness, and has an important voice, but not the sweetness of bows with a different kind of curve..(like a Peccatte Style - curve..)

I am really curious about a commentary about that.. I only tried once a Sartory, and did not have the chance to own one for a long time, so I can not judge properly..
My first sensation was like driving a Ferrari... incredible for fast and hard to articulate passages (orchestral excerpts, or certain solo repertoire) .. it did it so easy..!
But is it also a sweet sounding bow? Or did you miss something in sensitivity in his last half..?
And did its age affect in some ways the use of the bow..?
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and opinions.

All the best

amin