View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink Boston Catlines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
Off and on I have this odd desire to string up my bass with guts and one friend of mine suggested strings made by Boston Catlines. Has anyone used those or heard of that maker??

I am not an "orchestra guy", but I favor arco playing in many different contexts where most players play pizz. I am a fan of the orchestra and of classical / baroque music. I also play a 5-stringer and understand bowing guts on that one will not be a walk in the park, so perhaps I am just entertaining a fantasy that requires an extra bass (or two). After reading so much about Dlugoleki and Gamuts, I wondered if anyone has experience with Boston Catlines?
Do you expect 'serious' strings made from a company with such a misguided name? Show me a Cat big enough to have Guts that can make a bass string! Can't? Then shop elsewhere. Anyway, they can't afford a website yet from the search I just made. Maybe they are just tying 2 or 3 Cats together for each string. Anyone missing a Cat out there? Ever hear a Sheep meow or a Cat baahhh?? Why wasn't the "Catgut Society" named the "Sheepgut Society"? All that research and they mislead you at the front door!..

For your quest Dave, look back at how the wound E-Gut was developed 200 years ago and you will see that it was not easy to get a note to sound at an even volume under the A. Now wound Gut Es are ok on some Basses but a B? That will be a challenge in two ways. First, find one! Second, try playing it. Did I mention a third way? Well if you think it's difficult finding a Bass with an even volume steel/metal low B bowed then good luck doing it on Gut.

Get a 4-string or maybe even a 4 with an Extension to go down. I called LaBella and asked for a set for an Extension and I might just get it. Now, which Bass of mine with an Extension can I spare for this quest and will that Bass be playable with Gut?

Ok, I will let the audience choose. Currently, only my Hart, Gilkes and Martini have Extensions. My full sized old English Gamba should be done soon but without an Extension. I think playing that monster as a normal 4-strings is enough of a challenge much lest reaching back for an Extension. Fingering and bowing Gut will be twice the challenge. The Storioni would be great if it were done but the Restoration is not even starting for awhile so that's at least 2 years out.

Choose between the 3 Basses above I first mentioned for a Gut-string Extension Orchestral Bass, and why! Yes, tell me why you made that choice. You may also ask questions here online about any of the 3 basses to help make your decision.