Thread: French Basses
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question 1839?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Derthick View Post
My main axe is an August (Gustave) Bernardel, 1839, original label and papers. Unfortunately, it was damaged by the polar weather conditions we had in NoCal in early January, and is undergoing restoration as I write this. The work is being done by Pat McCarthy in Berkeley, CA.

I have owned the bass since 1997, purchased it from Tom Metzler, a dealer in LA. It had sat unplayed in a Pasadena basement for nearly a half century prior to this, and had not had any major repairs done to it in the 20th century. Classic violin shape, beautiful woodwork, red varnish in mint condition, all original (including scroll) except for an expert neck graft done in the 1800s that shortened the string length to around 1000 mm (around 40"). Due to the neck graft being placed at an extreme angle--very low standoff, scroll way back, very tall bridge--the bass had stupendous projection and an enormous, phat bottom end. Alas, the damage done in January will result in a small post patch (where there was none at all), new bass bar and replacement of the bottom brace on the back.

I have no photos to post at this time, but as soon as the bass is complete (mid summer) I will get some things together, including looks at the inside. This instrument is the best french orchestra bass I have ever personally played on, and much better than 3 other Bernardels I have previously tried. Hopefully once the new bar is broken in it will be the same or better than it was. A colleague of mine, who had played the Bernardel previously owned by Mike Leiter (sold two years ago for around 80K, so I've heard) said that hands down, my instrument sounded better and was in much better condition. I feel very fortunate to have it, and hope that it is what it was or better once the restoration is complete. A very special instrument indeed, and worthy of study as an outstanding model of french bass making.
I am sorry but 1839 sounds way too early for Gustave (Gustave August) son of Auguste Sebastian. I had a Bernardel that was appraised as 1859 by Gustave and still was told by others it may be too early for him. I will look up some dates during the week and post the info here. When you do your pics, PLEASE take some good shots of the Label. I think he was born around that time if I recall correctly. Still, I will look it up next week. Maybe your Bass is by Bernardel Pere' (Auguste Sebastian)?