Thread: French Basses
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Gustave..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Derthick View Post
Yes, it is the father, August, not the son Gustave, who made the bass. Sorry about the confusion. When I have photos of the label and bass I will be sure to post them. Tom Metzler has authenticated the label and instrument. A wonderful example of french bassmaking.
Thanks. That's what I gathered. On Gustave, he assisted his father and did so most likely in 1859 (b.1832, Paris) as my Bass was appraised as, but was a pre-Brenardel-Gand Bass by far (1866 they merged). Mine was most likely made in the fathers shop but somehow attributed to Gustave. That is what the late Sam Kolstein appraised it as. I bought it in 1971 from Ed Maestro in Philly and he just called it a Bernardel and I assumed the Father at that time. It still had its original (and very thick) Neck/Scroll with no graft and seemed to be original as a 4-string. I had the neck Thinned by Maestro so I could play it. It also had the typical Bernardel slightly softer shoulders than those we see or the Claudot, Jacquet and Lamy model Basses with the broad Cello shoulders but had the false Cello button. I have some old pics so maybe I can get them scanned and post them here.