Thread: French Basses
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Collin-Mezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
I have seen pictures of them (20th century Collin-Mezin) on various sites. They're beautiful looking instruments of the very sloped shoulder gamba variety.

What does anyone know of basses by this maker and how do they sound?

BG
Sorry that your question was ignored for the last 6 months. I just recently researched a few of these Basses that I have seen on line as well. One which I thought was made by Collin-Mezin that has a P.Bisch Brand/Label is now in my possession. Look at the link and my 'comments' about the Bass. Your opinions are welcomed.

I originally thought it was a Collin-Mezzin because of the Scroll being the same. Then I remembered about the French Trade Guilds and how identical Scrolls were sold to various shops. I have seen at lease four different Basses with the exact same Scroll so attributing them all to C-M because of the Scroll alone would be an error in judgment I think.

You can Google 'Collin-Mezin Violin' and 'Paul Bisch Violin' to read more about them on line. That would give you some idea at least.

The Bisch Bass has been SOLD.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 09-29-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: This Bass has been SOLD