View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I really don't mean to sound like a jerk, but tightening your bow is something that is so simple it really can't be explained. I mean, if it "bottoms out" it's too loose, and if it's too tight, well, it's too tight. If your bow doesn't seem to be working, you're probably a lot better off looking at your technique or maybe your bow just sucks.
I think there is a bit more to it than that. After some time, the hair will stretch from the frog little by little. Tightening the stick is harder when you have less room to tighten it from the hair being stretched.Also, the balance of the bow (in playing it) changes as the frog moved further towards the screw and away from the grip. I have one bow that has a very stiff stick and a fairly big camber. Tightening that bow is not so easy because the hair has been in there a long time (what hair is left), and I can barely get the hair off the stick when tightening it.

I know bows and know them well. Some just need some TLC so they work better. Also as you say, there are some not-so-great bows out there in use as well. That can make things difficult regardless of the hair condition.