View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Years ago I did the same thing with a nearly brand new Gossen Luna Pro light meter. That was in the ancient times when measuring light was a prerequisite for getting a photo;- on a curious material called gelatin-silver "film". Of course there were autos back then, but these had distributors, points, etc.; - but I digress. I took a light reading for a late evening shot at my parents' house, set the meter on top of my station wagon and then took the shot. In the meantime, it got too dark to see it easily and then I loaded up to drive over 200 miles, my brother following me in his car about 50 yards behind for the first several miles. Once we hit highway speed it flew off my car and bounced off his windshield. He flashed his lights and we stopped. He didn't know what it was but it was apparent that it had come off of my car and then I thought back and figured it out. 2 weeks later I came back to the same spot where we had stopped and searched for it. Miraculously the Luna Pro survived the incident, and it was many years before it finally stopped working.

These things always happen when we break a routine that usually keeps us out of trouble. In this case it was a rare fleeting sunset, for Eric, a bassbag with no bow case pocket. It can happen to anyone for the odd reason. I'm glad to hear that the stick was intact, Eric. It will play again.

Ken, one of my favorite bass-on-the-roof-of-the-car stories is from Danny Thompson. He has an old French bass that he had no idea what it was when he bought it (£5) because it was covered with some cheap black paint. He routinely drove it to gigs strapped to the roof of some tiny English car that was the only vehicle between all of his band at the time. One evening they chanced into a rather persistent deluge on the way home and the paint started coming off revealing the 200+ year old varnish;- on a Gand. Apparently is survived intact and he still plays it to this day.