Thread: Upton Basses
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

I took my Upton Hybrid bass over to KC Strings recently at the owner's request. Micha said he had heard of the Uptons and would like to check out the competition. The first thing he did was pull one of his Romanian basses from inventory and compare. His bass, http://www.kcstrings.com/bass-rc-williams.html is fully carved, but bears a remarkable resemblance to my Hawkes apart from price.
Same dimensions, exact same scroll etc. There are differences.
The Hawkes lacks a horizontal bar across the back to support the soundpost and the bass bar is smaller, but Misha insisted that they are from the same family tree.
No less than five pro bassists in town have played my bass and given it the thumbs up. My teacher for one considered buying one as a backup.
Another, played several tunes on it at a jam session and raved about it's tone and playability. He thought it was too easy to play, preferring his Prescott lol.
I don't know how they would compare with the Calin Wultur basses, but I suspect neither would be embarrassed.

One of these days, Bob can give my bass his opinion. I would value that highly. Bob, let me know when you're feeling up to it.