View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb massive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Levi View Post
Here are a couple of pics. The centre join had a piece of epoxied wood in it up to the big brace as can be seen in the pics. The back sits perfectly on the ribs now after I took it off (before it was being pulled in all directions from the epoxy).
Now what route to take.... full center seam inlay ???
Due to massive peer pressure I will replace the back brace .
Any advice on how many braces the bass will need , Im guessing 3 or will sturdy patches along the centre seam be an option ...?
Massive Peer pressure? I just gave you the advice based on seeing many French basses that were improved that way. One center brace, one lower and one upper usually and possible depending on the condition of the back and length, 2 upper ones. One at the bend and one at the blocks. The lower and mid/block brace to be shaped like a bassbar. The center is flat maybe 4-5" wide, 1/2" tall and the upper bend brace maybe 2" wide and beveled. Tastefully shaped, not lumber-like 2x4s.

The Center joint may need to be re-jointed and then, a strip placed in there to fill the gap. Also, how is the overhang of the Top on the bottom bouts over the Ribs? Overlaps or more flush like? If Flush, cut the ribs at the block and tuck them in slightly shorter. The lower corner blocks may need trimming under the Ribs as over time, the string pressure pulls the lower block forward bending the back at the bottom under that wide stair-step brace as well as twisting the corner blocks inwards. This is a common fault with old French basses and correction is not easy. The bass needs to be modified. Just like with blockless basses, if made with corner-cutting, money-saving techniques, it needs expensive corrections in restoration.

Just guessing here what you may need.