View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I just heard back from Joel. Super nice guy.
He sure is. He wrote me back very promptly as well and invited me to a masterclass he's giving in August. Unfortunately the registration deadline is passed, tuition is reasonable but money I don't have, and I probably couldn't get the day off work anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Is Dalla Torre also tuning his Orchestra bass, (the Grancino?) in 5ths as well?
I'm really not sure as I'm not particularly familiar with him actually - just his website which I find gives a nice overview of the different tunings for someone who doesn't know the history of the instrument (i.e. trying to explain it to your friends who play cello or violin etc.)

Quote:
This 5ths thing is something serious to look at but it is not a casual one at all.!
That's for sure! I'm glad though that you've taken a look at it and read what people like Joel have to say. I think everyone should at least know about this tuning, even if it remains that 99% play in fourths. I think though that at or near the beginning of one's education is a great time to start with fifths since there isn't too much to "un-learn" in terms of repertoire.

So reading about you taking your std tuning set up and down to achieve a crude CGDA tuning, I did this just for a few minutes tonight so that I could see how both sight reading and reading a familiar piece went. Not too bad I found... I played the tricky spots from the Trout quintet which I'm preparing for a performance in a couple weeks. There was indeed a little more shifting, but mostly short ones that could be pivots. Not too many bad notes Sight reading was not quite as great, but better than expected, so I'm really feeling good about the reading part of re-learning anyway. All that's left is to find a good teacher and the right set of strings (I think I'll go with Joel's preferred Dominants with Spiro low C, at least at first).