View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road
Default Pollmann violone

Tuesday I was in a local string shop and there is this Pollmann violone that has been there for years. I think it was built in the 1970's. It is extremely ornately carved everywhere, has a six string pegbox and TP, tied on nylon frets, and the plates are flush with the ribs. It is just a shade smaller than most 3/4 instruments.

I have lusted after that instrument for years, so while my cello friend was getting a new string, I was BSing with the proprietor and just off hand asked what he would take for the violone.

It was too good a price to pass on, but I am not really flush with funds now so I thought I would run it by the folks here just to get some ideas. The proprietor was kind of laughing at my reaction to the price, which I think was really low considering the instrument and pedigree. Of course he told me to properly string it would cost near $1200 and then he asks me what on earth would you do with a violone?

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experience with violones here. I understand they are rare and mostly used for authentic Baroque performance, but are they good for other music, too? How different are they from a good DB? Do you think I should jump on it and put down a deposit?

It is a fabulous looking instrument. It might need a little work because I did see some separation of the top from the ribs in the shoulders, but that doesn't seem to critical. Otherwise it looks in very good condition with just a little shop wear. I know the shop owner has had it for years so it has been mostly window dressing for his shop. I don't think the price was a rip-off price given what the 5-string Pollmanns go for new these days. I just wonder if it would be useful for anything but authentic Baroque application.