View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hart View Post
If I may weigh in here, the reason people say 12k is expensive for a Violone is because the gigs for them are sparse. A Violone does not fit in well if the rest of the ensemble is playing modern instruments, and it is not a necessarily large and robust sound, much closer to a Viola da Gamba. I'm sure there are people who make livings playing Violone in America but most of the people I've heard of that are Violone players are living in Europe. But 12k for a Pollman is a great price and it sounds like something to have if you have the money.
Thanks for the input here Nick, and you have a good point. The violone is both over and under priced.

I'm going to look at it again today. There are two things I'm going to use to guide me. What would a violone by a different maker cost (and that should be probably the most definitive guide), as well as what the approximate value of any 1970's Pollmann in good condition costs. I still have to research the first and Ken and Arnold have given me a good idea of the second. I hope to get some pics for you guys so this is not a teaser thread.