View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool make on order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
They look lovely on the website, but when I contacted them, some time ago, i was given the impression that not all the models shown are available. I don't imagine turnover is very quick, so they probably make on order. I may be wrong.
I doubt that they 'make' the gears or does almost anyone else that 'sells' gears. Usually, the 'have them made' and sell their 'branded' gears.

This is what I believe personally.

When Arnold was making my bass, he called them for a particular gear and found only one or two styles were available, period. I don't know if that was going to change down the road but, now IS down the road and you received a similar reply.

So, if they have what you like, buy them. The other choice for similar looking gears are from Martyn Bailey. I don't know who or how his are made but I am sure coming from him, they will be at least as good.

I have these gears coming in from Hungary on basses made for me or old basses restored there that need gears. They work 'ok' and need a bit of going over to be smoothed out. I am not 100% where they are made. Either in eastern Europe or China in my guess. Maybe, I will bring some sets in but I have yet to even ask for prices for just the gears. I am just happy to see them on the basses.