View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb False Nuts and why..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
Wow, I'm having vuja de (that's the weird feeling that none of this has happened before.)

I had a 41.5 bass that was Eb neck. Now I have a 43 that is a D neck. Some say different scales are harder to get used to than the D / Eb issue, but for me, the D / Eb issue was more problematic, and I still sometimes go up to a note at the heel and, well, I'm only a half step off at the most....

What was that "blue note" you grabbed on the turn around there, Powell? That was way kewl!

If I was strictly a jazz player, I might want the Eb neck back. It seemed easier to find the horn key notes because I could reference them all at the heel. For folk tune and rock stuff I had all the most frequent chord fundamentals at the open end. But the long 43 and the D neck have gradually become normal, preferred perhaps.

On the matter of changing the scale length, I have noticed that on my D neck there are also other built in references that would move if I fitted a false nut. The overstand point marks the F, C, G, D, A notes and makes it easier for me to find my way up to thumb position. That would shift if the string was shortened. I'm used to that now, so I don't intend to change anything.

If I liked a particular bass for it's sound and overall response, I don't think either the string length or the Eb / D issue would be considered much.
On the matter of making a False Nut I have only done this with an Eb-Neck that was over 42" combined. I would never do it to a D-Neck as that would make it more of a Db-Neck. If you need to shorten a Bass with a D-Neck short of major surgery, you can cheat the Bridge forward a bit to just above the notches instead of being centered at them.

My Batchelder is an Eb-Neck and my 7/8 Shen a D-Neck. The Shen I moved the Bridge up to get 41 1/2" (or 41 5/8"?) from the original 42". The Batchelder I haven't touched and is a 41 1/4" String length. If it was a D-Neck it would be under 41".

My Loveri was close to 43" and between a D and Eb so I made a false Nut and cheated the Bridge to get it under 42" and a D-Neck.

My Hart is coming out of restoration and the Bridge is cheated just slightly to 41 3/4" with an Eb-Neck. This Bass is super comfy.

My Cornerless Attr. Storioni is between D and Eb and has a 44 1/4"-44 1/2" S.L.. I cheated the Bridge to 44 1/4 and did the Pulcinella Suite in concert a few days after buying the Bass.

Other than stretching my fingers, I have not had much problem changing from Bass to Bass. What I do to get in-tune is warm up with Scales, Arpeggios and memorized parts as well as improvised doodling. I even do this with my eyes close sometimes and just listen to the pitch.

If I had been set with one Bass and made my first change then I could see having a problem but changing instruments all the time has made a big difference in the ability to adapt.

Still I prefer 41-42" but have no preference over D or Eb-Neck. Each type has its own benefits and issues as well.