View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

OK, OK

Once the graft was glued, I checked the cheeks and back.

The repair join was good, but it was a toss-up between an inlay repair of the back of the scroll and re-doing the cheeks. Given the state of the scroll, I decided to re-cheek as well. Also, there is the little broken bit of the edge that I put somewhere and now cannot find ...

While I was waiting for suitable repair wood to arrive from Europe, I hollowed out the pegbox.

That's the Lignum Vitae carver's mallet my Mum gave me a few years back.

The black mark is a woodpecker peck, or a nail hole, or something. It doesn’t worry me as it’s not in a critical position. I may chisel it out altogether eventually.

The sides were planed back as little as possible and holes filled where needed with new maple. These will mostly be covered and the holes drilled out again, but a bit of repair wood in there will minimise splitting.

The scroll this morning, new cheeks and in process of shaping. I was careful to document the chamfer before planing off the sides, so I can try to make the new chamfer as close to the original.

The sides of the scroll will be probably 1.5mm thicker than the original, and I will probably finish the top of the cheeks with a gentle scoop into the existing volute, instead of a smooth transition, as I want to keep a good thickness of wood up near the top of the pegbox where it counts.

On the pic below I have redrilled the guideholes for the tuners; I measured these with calipers using triangulation from the lower corners before gluing on the cheeks. You can also see a tiny hole where I used a pin to accurate register the cheeks for gluing.

The new cheeks were cut from a flamed violin back wedge. Even though the grafting neck block itself was rather plain maple, I decided it would be a pity not to try to match the flame on the rest of the instrument, in the scroll. Due to the smallish size of the back wedge, the flame is angled back a few degrees from normal.

It's nice flame, pity my lighting is so crap.

Last edited by Matthew Tucker; 08-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.