View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Many of the Basses made for Dodd were made by Lott Snr. This bass can be as easily by Lott as by Dodd. It doesn't look anything close to the few Forsters I have seen. The Simon Andrew Forster basses were actually supplied by Lott, 5 of them as listed in his own book. I have seen pics of one of them and it was just like a Lott I had here briefly.

The Forster Snr. basses (4 known noted) varied in size but have darker Varnish. The Forster Jnr. basses, all but one (about 6 in total) were made as Cello models and without Purfling. Also noted in the book by Simon Andrew. I think I have played one of these as the dealer thinks it's Forster Srn. but by all accounts it's exactly described as those made in the son's shop where S.A. Forster trained with S.Gilkes and his brother William F. IV.

Varnish color wise, Corners, Italian FFs etc, I would say this looks more possible as a Lott/Dodd Bass than anything from the Forster family's hands.

Like other English basses that are attributed to a famous name, this web is no less tangled than the others!