View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mortimore View Post
one of my basses has corners like this...
i'm still unsure of the maker of my bass tho... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Those ebony 'wrap arounds'(?) look like they were added after. The Dodd and Forster basses I have seen with square corners finish flush with the plate corners, not overlapped. Also, they are rounded and not square not to mention ebony. Ebony was quite rare back then. I don't know what the fingerboards were but the tailpieces were stained black over maple or boxwood. So, ebony corners seem doubtful.

What do the shops over there think your bass is? can I see the scroll, all angles? If it's old enough, it could be from the Dodd shop or one of his out-workers.

I had one that was attributed to Dodd that looks vaguely similar to your bass. Tony Houska thinks it resembles a Craske her recently had. I think some English basses were similar back then but not uniform in size and details from bass to bass, even from the same maker. I have seen a few Fendts that varied in size and string length made on the same exact d'Salo model. You would expect them to measure up close to each other but they didn't.

Nice bass you have there regardless.