View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road
Default Just Back From ISB '07

I spent most of the week at the ISB convention in Oklahoma City. It was great! I was supposed to compete in the maker's competition but my bass sold a few weeks earlier and the new owner preferred the bass stay with him. David Gage put my Ergonomic III on display and it got lots of positive feedback. Having no selling booth, I was free to roam as I pleased. I saw some amazing instruments and heard some of the best classical and jazz playing ever. Unfortunately my luggage (and golf clubs) showed up two days after me, but in the end it all worked out. One of the highlights of the week was Nick Lloyd being presented (and surprised) at the awards ceremony with a special award for facilitating the Katrina bass project. Another was my pal Chris Roberts receiving a Silver medal for tone, which I predicted after hearing the competition basses. Andrew Kohn blew me away with a class and performance on extended serial music for bass. Volkan Orhan put on a masterful, soulful recital, as did Jeff Bradetich. Ben Williams, Robert Hurst and Rufus Reid laid down some swinging jazz. Joel Quarrington brought the house down with perhaps the best classical solo playing I have ever heard (tuned in fifths!). Etc., etc.