View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default not wax..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Koyander View Post
I have seen the many types of furniture makers wax sticks for doing repairs. I imagine that because the bass is thought to be around the 1980s that it will be eurethane type of finish - is it a case of trying to dab in some eurethane over the top of the wax to unite the glossy finish and then perhaps finish with a buffing cream? I can experiment but thought I would ask those who know first so as to get a pointer in the right direction !
I am talking about marker like pens that I think are alcohol based. Not a wax at all.

On the Hawkes, have you read this? http://www.smithbassforums.com/showt...ghlight=hawkes

From what I have seen, it can be possible that all the Panormo shaped models were imported from Germany. The H and F ones do not have outer linings but look like nearly the same bass. I have seen many of them that look slightly different suggesting that the contracted different shops in Germany to make them but there are no records.

These are all the Hawkes and Son basses and a few B&H when they merged with Boosey in the 1930s or so. What they made after the war in Bohemia or Hungary is beyond my knowledge.

On the H models, having examines one, it looks like it could be German as easily as English. If these were made in England, then by who, what shop? The man known as Robert Green that ran the string division doesn't seem all that possible to also be a maker of basses like these. I could be totally wrong but importing in the white from Germany is equally possible. Just look at some of the later Tarr basses. This went on with all the string instruments, not just basses. Why make when you can import cheaper?