View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Ok, found another..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Ken, weren't many of the workmen in the English shops German?
In reading today I find a once forgotten name of 'Lentz' also from the Tirol. It seems as if the elder Lentz (Johann Nicholaus) worked about 1800-1813 around London. He may have been a pupil or associate of Bernhardt Fendt Sr. Work is similar to Dodd and J.F.Lott in regards to the Varnish. One son Jacob Lentz was known for making a large amount of Basses that were admired. Another son was named John Frederick (after Lott?). The work of this Family is mainly unlabeled and not often recognized.

It seems that every worker I have found of Germanic origin was actually from the Tyrol which is NOT actually Germany at that time. Look at the name "Johann Nicholaus"! Clearly an Italian twist there. The Tirol is more like the stepping stones between Italy and Germany with Austria being the 'doormat'!

I wonder, could my Mystery English Bass be made by one of the Lentz family?

Even in todays Violin Books we see Stainer (Steiner) referred to as a German maker when actually he was from the Austrian Tirol (Innsbruck). I believe Stainer married into the Amati family as well to the daughter of Antonius, son of Andrea.