View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote

Lots of good points David:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
That might not be the same as the Hidersine Jeff used. I also had some "give-away" Hidersine all-weather rosin that fits Jeff's description in total;- totally useless.
That sounds about right. I'm sure the whole brand isn't crap, but it certainly isn't "the good stuff". If you needed something as hard as what I had (say, you're Gary Karr or something) I'd just go with cello rosin (as Gary does).

Quote:
Having 3 grades of the same stuff makes getting it just right easier.
I agree! Right before I got the Oak I was mixing some old dried up Carlsson's with my Kolstein soft (alternating strokes) and got passable results, but having varying grades of the same stuff is nice.

Quote:
I have found it very useful to make sure the bow hair is warm before I add any rosin to it. I just slide it briskly over the strings and usually after a few passes it starts catching and I can tell if I need to refresh the rosin.
I usually do this, then play for at least a minute or two before considering any new rosin. Since I started with the Oak medium, I use much less than I used to.

Quote:
It must be kept in the plastic box or it will glue itself to something. The Carlsson was almost as bad.
Hmm, my Carlsson cake is nothing like this - now it's very dry and powdery (getting to be rather useless) but even when fresh it was more like the Oak medium than any other rosin I've tried.

Quote:
I would imagine that depending on the bass, the strings, the bow, and the hair, and also the weather, that there is just no one best rosin for every player in every situation.

Definitely it seems that one will work better than another for most players.
Again, I agree 100%. Once you find what works it's a great thing - rosin is probably nearly as personal as strings.