Thread: Rosin
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Moote View Post
Lots of good points David:
That sounds about right. I'm sure the whole brand isn't crap, but it certainly isn't "the good stuff". If you needed something as hard as what I had (say, you're Gary Karr or something) I'd just go with cello rosin (as Gary does).

I agree! Right before I got the Oak I was mixing some old dried up Carlsson's with my Kolstein soft (alternating strokes) and got passable results, but having varying grades of the same stuff is nice.

I usually do this, then play for at least a minute or two before considering any new rosin. Since I started with the Oak medium, I use much less than I used to.

Hmm, my Carlsson cake is nothing like this - now it's very dry and powdery (getting to be rather useless) but even when fresh it was more like the Oak medium than any other rosin I've tried.

Again, I agree 100%. Once you find what works it's a great thing - rosin is probably nearly as personal as strings.
Good discussion. I never experienced any of the problems you guys mentioned with Carlsson's, though- it's never gotten powdery or dried out on me since I started using it about 10 years ago.

I think the oak might be astep up, though - I got to try it once or twice, and it seemed to Grab "perfectly", without the added "thump" on the attack that you can get Carlssons, Pops, or Kolstein's.

IME, Pops wears out to fast. It's very sticky, then it's gone. It's not worth the trouble fo me.