View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
There are a few schools of drawing the Bow that I am personally aware of. One is the heavy strong attack on each note. Another is a smooth execution where you do not hear the attack. A third is where it draws softly at the start and quickly swells to the desired tone.

I have used all three mentioned as needed. The first and last style should be used as needed for the music. The middle one where you have control of the note from the start should be the normal way to bow. This I find the hardest to maintain as it requires great practice as well as a Bass (with good bowing strings) that responds well to your Bow. Also, the quality of your Bow will greatly aide in this approach.
Gary Karr says to bow slowly and near the bridge. He talks about the 'sizzle' you get down there. It certainly gives a great sound.
Here's an interesting one about articulation, if you have a bit of time:
Take the 'B section tune' of Take Five and transpose it (Take 5) to the key of G minor. Play it in thumb position, starting on '12th fret' G - thumb... it sits comfortably here and it is easy to play the notes.
How are you going to bow it?

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 08-14-2007 at 02:54 PM.