View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Junior Posting Member

Dwight McCartney is on a distinguished road

The ff holes to me have subtle differences but are more similar than different.
the number 13 scroll looks a bit narrower from the front than the other. the back of scroll looks differnt width too. From the side the 13 scroll seems to curve back a tiny bit more. The upper corner bout sees slightly different but that may be the busetto confusing me.
That is to say, there there are differences but there is nothing that I could point to to say whether one person made both basses or not.

When I listen to Itzaak Perelman play, I know it is him, whether I have heard the piece before or not. It must be like that with basses, you see enough of them, you begin to recognize old friends. I have not seen nearly enough, so I need to see more. But browsing the internet, looking at what one person says is a particular maker, it may not be that and so I would be learning what is not right. Like not knowing Perelmanns music, someone tells me that it is him when it is actually Bell. How would ever learn?
So I think it would be helpful to see several pieces of a maker side by side to recognize that maker. Yes, I would love to see a comparative photographic series of Professor Schnitzer's work.