Thread: Upton Basses
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Jeff Bollbach finished his Pallota Lion with oil Varnish using about 17 thin coats sun-dried between coats. Now that is better than a factory Varnish BUT the cost is greater than what Upton paid for their Bass in the white from Romania. I Highly doubt they put a tenth of the work into varnishing a plywood Bass. Jeff's Bass was made for the ISB competition. Would Upton enter their 'hand oil varnished' 'Hawkes' (lol) in an ISB competition for the Judges to view their work for the world.
Jeff's bass is considerably nicer than 99.999999 % of the basses out there. To compare the varnish on a $2900 instrument is just inane. Would they enter a $2900 bass for the ISB to judge???? Of course not.

There are a lot of choices available to anyone considering a bass. You have a personal bias against Upton, and I know you aren't alone, but they do have many satisfied customers.

Don't worry about me turning this into TB. I have always said that I have been happy with my bass and think Upton merits consideration in the price range. If I had twice the money, I would probably be playing a NS, BTW. I know exactly what you are talking about over on TB and I partially agree, but running down the competition isn't becoming. The Ken Smith I've come to know and respect is bigger than that. There's plenty to go around.