View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool mids..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Am I reading or interpreting this correctly? If so and If you are referring to "cut" as the bass' ability to cut through the mix, I would disagree with the above statement (i.e. "cut the mids when you boost the treble and bass") being the solution, sorry. The Mids is exactly what you want in order for the bass to "cut" through the mix. It's not always pleasent to the ears, but necessary in difficult venues.
The Mids can wash out the penetration of the sound of the bass because when you boost treble the lower end of the boost is the high mids. When you boost the bass the upper end of the bass is the low mids. With the mids cut slightly, the bass and treble are tighter. Tighter sound cuts thru more than a 'mushy' everything boosted sound. This is my opinion. Take it of leave it. For me, the bass should sound like a bass. The mids help shape the bass and treble. Boosting the mids bleeds or blends the tones together but cutting them notches the sound. Try boosting the bass and treble all the way and then cut the mids all the way and see what I am talking about. This may not be the exact EQ you are looking for but you will see better what I am getting at.