View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool great..

Also, one more difference between French and German of a similar model is the upper bout back bend. A French bass will bend from the corner block to the neck gradually. A German bass will bend steeply half way up with an angle cut, flat or round back. If it's not bent and has outer linings, it's German. I have seen so many Hawkes basses claiming to be French because the dealer over charged and called it French that were 100% typical German work and nothing at all like a French bass. Just nice grade German work so they sell it as French. Fraud in my book. Buyer beware!

So outer linings and/or angle bent back = German as opposed to French. Italian and English basses might have some of this too but they are usually obvious as not being German or French, usually.

Quote:
Elderly Instruments in Lansing, where I worked as a college student, has a reprint of the B&J 1915-1916 catalog for $12. Might be cool to have.
Oh, I should have this? I think you should as you have the bass, no?.. .. Hey, if one shows up in the mail as a gift, I will give it a good home!