View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Junior Posting Member

Patrick Thorstenson is on a distinguished road

I am currently using the Heritage for the A and E with Obligatos on the D and G. That combo seems to be a good match. The Kolstiens need some room to move and I had to raise my string height quite a bit for the string to begin to speak and stop buzzing compared to something like a spirocore orchestra. The strings are fairly soft so there wasn't any additional strain on the hand or wrist. I play jazz and classical with the local civic orchestra. The Kolstiens seem to been a good mix between a nice full pizz sound (without being thuddy) and arco without being too scratchy.
My only complaint (based on personal opinion) is that I find the E string a little floppy when playing pizz in an unamplified setting where I am pulling on those strings fairly hard.
My bass teacher uses a full set of Heritages and has a great sound. He stated to me the other day that he has found a few bad strings amongst the sets he has purchased so there may be some quality control issues.

Overall a good versital string for the E and A . For comparison, I have also tried Sprios, Doms, Animas (E and A) and Jargar Fortes but the Kolsteins have been the best so far for me. I have never tried Olives and wouldn't want to speculate about matching those strings together.

PJ